The time has come and you have finally decided to pull the trigger on a landscape design but you have the tough decision left on doing either mulch or rock as the top layer for your flowerbeds. We are here to help you with your decision. Here are some pros and cons of both.
- Mulch retains moisture very well and also acts as a blanket during hot and cold times which in turn protects your plants.
- Acts as a weed barrier to slow down the germination of weeds.
- It decomposes over time and adds nutrients to your soil.
- Keeps rain from soil wash-outs.
- Helps prevent soil compaction.
- Overall looks great!
- It can wash away if it is loosely installed.
- Can lose color overtime.
- Must replenish 1-2 times per year.
Most bulk mulch prices are typically between $35-$60 per yard.
- Stay the same color forever.
- Will not blow away in high wind.
- Will not wash out in heavy rain.
- You do not need to replenish 1-2 times per year.
- Rock creates great drainage capability for problematic wash out areas.
- Expensive initial install.
- A pain to swap out if you decide later on down the road you dislike the color or want a change.
- It does not add nutrients to the soil.
Most bulk decorative rock prices are typically between $60-$250 per yard.
As always, we hope this helps you with making the correct decision in your landscaping needs!